ROCK HALL TOWN COUNCIL UTILITIES/WORKSHOP MEETING REPORT 1/29/18
Present: Jones, Kuechler, Andrews, Edwards, Nesspor (Fithian)
ACTIONS TAKEN BY VOTE TO:
• Approve Agenda
• Approve Minutes of 12/04/17 Utilities Meeting
ACTIONS TAKEN WITHOUT VOTE TO: None
• Water meter upgrade project report is complete and
available for viewing. The cost for preparing the grant application was previously approved by the council for a fee of $2,000.00. Fithian reports that the cost will be $2,500.00. There was no further discussion, comment or approval for the $500.00 increase in cost.
• Water and Sewer report
There was a crack in the PVC suction line on sewer at Pump Station 7. Nesspor said that it may need to be overhauled completely. Fithian reports that the suction line was replaced, a relatively minor repair that might be $2-3 thousand dollars.
The line is now repaired and ready to go.
• Nesspor said there is a bar screw (solids separator) at the sewer plant requiring attention. The backup for the separator has been down and out of operation for many years, therefore, this unit has no operable backup at this time.
Fithian reports we may fix it around the end of the fiscal year if there are funds and that it is not really necessary to fix this unit at this time.
• Andrews questioned the existence of a priority maintenance list. Fithian reported there is no such list, however, it’s “in their heads”.
• Andrews said she would like to see a listing of maintenance requirements with the priorities listed.
• Spring Cove Marina owner reported that the water and sewer bills for the marina are excessive ($1.000.00) as they have not used any water during November and December. Their water lines were shut off and winterized at the end of October. The marina is out of town, therefore subject to a higher rate (1.5%). Reni requested the town review the bills and fee structure, especially in the off season when no water is used. Shen also said that boating in general, bay wide, is down for many reasons and this adversely affects all costs at a marina.
Fithian said he would look into the bills.
• MEETING ADJOURNED 7:21 PM
Opened 7:22 PM
ACTIONS TAKEN BY VOTE TO:
• Approved Agenda
• Approved Meeting Minutes of prior meeting
• Appoint Kevin Stickland to the Board of Appeals
• Motion Approved to recess (7:32 pm) the workshop meeting to go into closed session to discuss a property acquisition.
Ordinances2018-01 and 2018-2 Special Events are available for review by council and will be introduced at the next meeting, next Thursday.
RF reports that 2018-01 takes the Special Event Section out of planning and zoning and puts it under the mayor, council and town manager.
Mayor said there will be an advertised public hearing on this matter.
• Kevin Stickland was sworn in as a member of the Board of Appeals.
• They need another member to complete the board so it can continue with Board of Appeals business. There are issues awaiting ruling by the Board of Appeals.
• R. Fithian reported on a letter received from an attorney regarding water and sewer hookup. Fithian referred the letter to counsel who wrote the reply.
Meeting was recessed for closed session (7:32 pm)
Meeting resumed: (7:48pm)
Summary of Closed Session Meeting
• Topic discussed was the possible acquisition of a property gifted to the Town of Rock Hall.
Meeting Adjourned 7:49 pm
Compiled by Linda Buckle
FULL MEETING CAN BE VIEWED @